Thursday, August 21, 2014

With Every Breath - Elizabeth Camden

With Every Breath by Elizabeth Camden was so captivating that once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down until I finished it... less than 24 hours later.
As a nursing student, I found Elizabeth Camden's presentation of tuberculosis - and the fight to control it - fascinating.  She clearly did a generous amount of research before writing, and you'll feel the authenticity as you read.  The limitations of the medical staff due to the lack of technology are evident, but so are the brilliance of the doctors that work with the patients.  The stresses of hospital politics and political strain are also included, making the book even more accurate.  The main characters have a unique past relationship, and the author wrote in just the right amount of electricity between them.  The romantic attraction was nearly tangible.  The personality and character flaws -- "You only love when it's easy" -- of the main character are ones I could relate to, and I saw myself in the leading lady more than once.  I believe most readers will find these characters utterly likeable and fun to read about.
My favorite thing about this book is that the author dedicated her writing space to primarily the two main characters, and not a lot of supporting characters and "extras."  Almost every chapter is dedicated to their interaction with each other.  I really liked how this stretched and elongated the reading experience.  Usually when I sit down with a book my favorite parts are when the main characters interact together.  Fortunately, this author captures that thought and turns it into an entire book.  I finally got exactly what I wanted!  Nearly every scene was these two relating to each other in some way.
Bottom line: With Every Breath is an absolute must read.  I've read every book of Elizabeth Camden's that has been published by Bethany House, so I knew I was in for the night when I began it.  Grab a hot tea, your favorite afghan, and dim the lights.  You won't want to get up for anything.  In fact, I loved it so much I believe I will actually read it again.
Normally, right here is where I include a disclaimer saying that I received the book for free in exchange for a review.  Not here!  I am such a fan of Elizabeth Camden, I pre-ordered this one and had it delivered to my door by Amazon Prime on the day of release.  So you see?  I do put my money where my mouth is.

No comments:

Post a Comment