Friday, May 3, 2013

Sweet Sanctuary - Kim Vogel Sawyer

I enjoyed this slow-paced novel by Kim Vogel Sawyer.  It was perfect for a rainy day or relaxing in the shade.
It is set in early World War I and is about Lydia's quest to legally adopt the son her dying friend asked her to take.  Now - 4 years later - his father shows up demanding custody.  When her son is kidnapped she calls on the help of a not-so-close friend.  The romance is minimal, but the storyline is sweet.  The plot seems to be more about Lydia's quest to legally adopt her son.
I enjoyed the book, but did not feel much connection between the two main characters.  The threat to her son's safety was well-written.  I admit I was a bit disappointed in the ending.  All in all, the book was well-paced and relaxing.  I carried it with me wherever I went, because it held my attention the entire time.  While some women's books come off superficial, the seriousness of Sweet Sanctuary is refreshing.  I would recommend it for the discriminating reader.
This was a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an objective review.

No comments:

Post a Comment