Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Tutor's Daughter - Julie Klassen

Julie Klassen has crafted yet another captivating novel with Bethany House.  I own every one of her books and will remain an enthusiastic fan of Klassen.  Her latest, The Tutor's Daughter, moves quietly but is fascinating and lives up to the Klassen standard.  I found myself seeing elements of both Pride and Prejudice as well as Jane Eyre.  You'll see for yourself what I mean when you read the book.
Emma Smallwood, whose father has been asked to tutor two young men privately in their home relocates with her father to the student's estate in Cornwall.  She has harbored feelings for Phillip, the students' older brother for several years, but still resents the eldest of the Weston brothers, Henry, for his malicious pranks many years ago.
In The Tutor's Daughter, Julie uses her trademark excellent research to bring the setting and characters to life.  She also weaves in a considerable amount of psychology, which is reflected in the personalities and tendencies of the main characters.  I also appreciated her research on autism and how it was viewed in the seventeenth century.
My only critique is that I wish she had brought out more attraction between the two main characters earlier in the novel.  However, the ending was phenomenal.  I highly recommend this novel.  You can find it online or at your local book retailer.
This book was a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an objective review.

No comments:

Post a Comment