Thursday, October 25, 2012

When a Heart Stops - Lynette Eason

This super fast-moving novel by Lynette Eason takes off like a shot in the first chapter.  I greatly appreciated the rocket-fast start -- in fact, slow starts are one of my pet peeves as a reader.  This one is very edgy and will keep your heart racing the entire time.
The main character, Serena, is called in to examine a death.  As a medical examiner, that isn't alarming.  However, her suspicions rise when she recognizes the victim.  She gets pulled into the murder investigation and finds her own life in imminent danger.  Add to this the element of romance when she works with her crush from school days, and the novel is a winner.
My only criticism of the novel, and it is a light one, is that it was so realistic (if there is such a thing) that it kept me up at night thinking about the murder plot.  It was a bit more graphic than I am used to, and I reacted emotionally right from the beginning.  For readers who like a thrilling crime scene this is the novel for you.  The romance helps tone it down, but I would have appreciated a bit more of that.
Lynette Eason is an experienced writer with several novels under her belt.  This book is #2 in the Deadly Reunions series, and is a brand new release as of October 1, 2012.  Since I haven't read the first book in the series, I can vouch that you can jump right in without feeling like you've missed any backstory.  However, I am confident that by starting with the first novel in the series your experience reading "When a Heart Stops" will be that much richer.
This novel is available at your favorite bookseller as well as at Amazon.com.
This book was a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an objective review.

No comments:

Post a Comment