Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Scent of Rain - Kristin Billerbeck

To date, I have read eleven of Kristin Billerbeck's novels.  I am, and always will be, a fan.  She is one of the very few Christian writers that focus on the chick-lit genre, so I am eager to see her stay "in the business" so that we can look forward to more chick-lit!
"The Scent of Rain" is about Daphne Sweeten, a professional nose who has been trained in Paris and comes back to the United States to get married.  As bad luck would have it, her groom fails to show up.  In the meantime, she has already accepted a job at a household goods supplier to develop the scents of the products they sell.  After giving up her dream job in Paris for marriage in the States and experiencing a failed wedding she then loses her most valuable asset - her sense of smell.
The plot gets slightly better as we learn more about her ex-fiancee, but it's too little to draw me in.  I cruise through the short novel before I realize it.  Since I was reading on a Kindle, it's difficult to tell how "thick" the book is initially.  I started and finished it in one day.
The romance was barely there.  All we felt was a draw between the characters until the very last chapter.  It's so safe, I might recommend it to a pre-teen.
FYI, Givauden and Gibralter were too closely named (in my opinion) and throughout the book, I had to back up several times to make sure I was reading it correctly.  Given that Daphne is a professional nose, I thought the last name "Sweeten" was a bit too much.
This review is rather harsh, but I do remain a fan of Kristin Billerbeck's.  I heartily recommend the "Trophy Wives Club" series.  Even after five years, I still remember the characters and their journey from Book #1!  Other favorites are "Split Ends," and the "Spa Girls" series.
This book was a free gift from the publisher in exchange for an objective review.

No comments:

Post a Comment