Friday, August 24, 2012

Over the Edge - Mary Connealy

"Over the Edge" is the third book in "The Kincaid Brides" series by Mary Connealy.  The plot was ever changing, fun, and less serious than most novels published by Bethany House.  This lighter side is new for me, but I enjoyed it.
The plot centers around Callie and Seth.  She comes from Texas with her little boy to find the husband that abandoned her after the end of the Civil War.  She finds him, and the novel is about their journey as they learn how to live and work together again.
The book starts with a bang as Callie almost single-handedly defends a stagecoach from ruffians.  The author paints her character as being tough, skilled, and a little on the mannish side.  In comparison to Callie's talents, her husband, Seth, seemed too soft.  However, the author took time growing the characters into the people she saw them as in the end.  For example, near the beginning I was frustrated and slightly put off by her lack of empathy for others.  Toward the end, she exhibits selflessness as she works to save someone undeserving of favor.  I appreciated the contrast the author took time to develop while staying inside the storyline.
My only criticism is of the protagonist, Seth.  He is a little on the flaky side, and it was hard for me to really respect his character as a man.  It was seemed to me that the author was painting a picture of a man who has severe post traumatic stress disorder.  After I finished the book, I Googled PTSD to see how the symptoms compared with the author's description.  The symptoms were all there.  Mary did a fantastic job of working in all the details without sending the reader into a depression of their own.
All in all, this was a pleasant read and if light-hearted cowboy romance is your thing, this might just fit the bill perfectly.
Below, I have a book trailer of Mona Hodgson's newest novel, soon to be released.  Enjoy a previous of "Twice a Bride"!


This book was a complimentary copy given to me by the publisher in exchange for an objective review.

No comments:

Post a Comment