Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Inescapable - Nancy Mehl

Ever since the beginning of this blog I have posted a copy of the cover of the book being reviewed.  This time, Bethany House has provided me with a book "trailer."  It's like a movie trailer, but for... you get it.  Very cool!  Now, for the review...
I am a first time ever Nancy Mehl reader!  After finishing "Inescapable" I was so eager to find out if there were more Mehl books out there that I Googled it.  In fact, Nancy has authored thirteen books total.  Previously published by Barbour, Thorndike, and Greenbriar Book Company Nancy Mehl's new Road to Kingdom series has been picked up by Bethany House.  If "Inescapable" is any indication, Bethany House made a very good call.  I can't wait to see what Book 2, "Unbreakable" is about!
Here, the main character, Lizzie Engel, has been gone from her Mennonite town for five years with good reason.  She experienced violence and abuse at home and has no meaningful relationship with her parents.  After becoming pregnant and treated with contempt by the townspeople, she left for a chance at life in the city.  Lizzie planned never to come back, but when she is accused of theft and embezzlement at her workplace in Kansas City she needs a place to retreat.  In addition, she's being followed and threatened.  Lizzie can't afford to take chances with her daughter's safety, so she  returns home to her Mennonite roots. Unfortunately, this doesn't fix anything, and the threats get even worse.  Suddenly, two men enter her life as potential suitors and complicate everything for Lizzie.
The entire book had me from page one, and I couldn't have enjoyed it more.  I would compare this novel with something from Mindy Starns Clark.  If you enjoy mystery with romance, this is a fantastic place to start.  I wish the second book, "Unbreakable" was already out, but alas -- it will be released February 1, 2013.  This one will definitely be on my radar!
The book was a free gift from the publisher in exchange for an objective review.

No comments:

Post a Comment