Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Stubborn Heart - Becky Wade

Bethany House is branching out, and I'm so happy to see it!  Considering Bethany House's undefeated streak with their historical novels, I was eager to try this contemporary novel.  I wasn't disappointed.  You'll feel its newness when you read things like "I'm holding out for Prince Harry."  There are parts that are serious, but mostly this is a light, fun romance novel with believable characters facing today's issues.  
The plot centers around thirty-one year old Kate, disappointed (but resigned) to her singleness and athletic Matt Jarreau, an ex-professional hockey player with tragedy in his past.  When her grandma hires him to remodel their historical house in Pennsylvania, a this-could-maybe-happen-to-me romance ensues.
The author didn't overdo it with too many characters.  In fact, the majority of the time you spend reading dialogue between the two main characters.  This makes for fast, easy reading that keeps you hooked.  My attention span never wandered.  I was so addicted to this book I read it straight through in one day.  Thank goodness I started it on the morning of my day off, or I would have had to go through withdrawal to put it down for work!
My only criticism for the author is directed toward the end in chapters twenty and twenty-one.  I didn't feel like the crisis was necessary.  Okay, a crisis was necessary for the plot to dip and rise like it should, but this particular crisis didn't feel justified from the characters' perspectives.  I think a juicy secret one person had deliberately kept from the other person might have justified it, though.  Certainly food for thought.
That said, I adored the author's writing and can't wait to see more from her.  In fact, I had to search Amazon just to see if there were any others released yet.  Sadly, no.  Thank you, Becky Wade, for one of the most enjoyable novels I've read all year!  Please don't make us wait too long for the next one!
This book was a gift from the publisher in exchange for my objective opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment