Saturday, January 7, 2012

God Gave Us Two by Lisa Tawn Bergren

"God Gave Us Two" is another fantastic book by Lisa Tawn Bergren written for children between ages 3-7.  All my children loved the story and the art.  Lisa worked in several common questions small children have when they are anticipating the arrival of a baby brother or sister.  The book was centered around children being a gift from God and loved by their parents.
The only change I would have made was at the very end of the story when papa polar bear says "God gave us two!" and Little Cub replies, "No, God gave us three!" My suggestion is that it would have been better in reverse.  I felt like in that statement, papa polar bear had unintentionally excluded Little Cub, and Little Cub had caught it.  After such a sweet story, this might have been a much warmer ending.
Having said that, I still loved the book and it is a cherished part of my children's library.  My oldest daughter, who is presently learning to read, enjoyed practicing with the book and was able to pronounce most of the words without help.  I always appreciate a children's book that children can actually read by themselves. Most importantly, "God Gave Us Two" is an excellent way for parents to introduce a coming baby to the family.
This book was a review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for a non-biased book review.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review! Hugs and hope you have a great week! :O)

    ReplyDelete