Monday, January 16, 2012

Chasing Mona Lisa - Tricia Goyer & Mike Yorkey

"Chasing Mona Lisa" is a novel set in France during the World War.  There are so many well-crafted characters, and this book will engage your mind more than most.  It is full of history and action-packed.  I thought the authors captured the emotion of the citizens of Paris very well.  Many times, I could imagine myself there. 
While I was able to stay with the storyline in Paris, I often got lost when organizing the German characters and their position in the hierachy of Hitler's battalion.  However, the authors did a fantastic job of drawing up each individual character.  Rarely do I have the privilege of reading a book with this many well-developed characters. 
The plot was intense and action-packed.  I enjoyed the multiple facets of the plot.  In truth, this book has a number of plots, and they are expertly woven together.  While multiple storylines can make some books hard to follow, here I believe it added to the quality of the writing and provided a much more developed plot than simply two agents trying to save the Mona Lisa.  This book reflected so much more than that. 
Because this book was set in the middle of the World War in Central Europe, I would think the biggest challenge when writing a book like this would be keeping the reader from becoming depressed.  Unlike many lighter novels, I wouldn't say this is a feel-good, relaxing book.  There was a small amount of romance it in, but the overall tone of the book was somber.  I would recommend it for a more serious reader who appreciates the details of history.  You will certainly walk away with a better understanding of what the World War was about.  It would be especially good for someone who had a grandfather who fought in the World War.
This book was given to me by the publisher in exchange for an un-biased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment