Friday, October 7, 2011

Lady in the Mist - Laurie Alice Eakes

I love it when books begin with action.  This one did, and it held my attention all the way through.  This was my first experience reading a novel from Laurie Alice Eakes.  It was well researched and read like a breeze.  This would easily qualify as a good book to relax with on vacation.  I can see myself reading more from this author in her Midwife series.  If you have a Kindle, you can download this for free at Amazon.  As of today (10/7/11), the link is still good. 
The plot was detailed enough, and I learned about the role of midwives in society just after the American Revolution as well as the problem our nation had with the British Navy impressing Americans as little more than slaves on their ships.  There were a couple nights that I just didn't want to stop reading it.  I took my "book" with me everywhere. 
On a score of 1-5, with 5 being completely unpredictable, the mystery plot was about a 3. It bears saying that I never fully believed that the red herrings planted were guilty.  I think the book would have been less predictable if the conclusion had gone a different way. 
For romance, this is a good fix.  The author did a fantastic job with the characters' romance.  The ratio of mystery to romance was roughly 50/50.
Once or twice I noted that the language used was not consistent with the date that the book was set in.  She also chose to use a couple obscure words that I had never heard before, and I used my Kindle to get the definition.  The British word "brainbox" is presently a slang word, and I couldn't get quite over it.  Since the word appeared several times, it must have been a favorite of the author. 
Overall, a fantastic read.  Even better, it was free.  This one is definitely worth downloading!  If you don't own a Kindle, click here for the Nook download, and here for the KOBO download.

No comments:

Post a Comment