Saturday, June 4, 2011

When God Created My Toes - Dandi Daley Mackall


"When God Created My Toes"
is an adorably written children's book about questions a child may ask regarding the moment God created them. The wording rhymes, which makes the book fun to read. The girls (my children, ages 6, 4, 2, and 1) all loved Dandi Daley Mackall's book, and I have no doubt that they will request it many, many more times. The cover was well done, and the quality of the book itself was excellent. This would make a perfect birthday present, especially since the book celebrates the creation of "me"!
I have two recommendations. My first recommendation is that a fun, upbeat story such as this get equally fun illustrations. I'm not recommending a different illustrator, because David Hohn is very talented. I'm recommending that the colors used be brighter, less drab colors. Currently, the colors set the stage for a more serious, melodramatic storyline. They didn't seem to flow with the author's goal of sharing the enthusiasm of a child discovering that God made every part of them.
My second recommendation is to the author. As a parent, I saw several opportunities to spark conversation with my children about God being our Creator. This can be an awkward thing for a parent to do, and for those of us who are teacher-challenged, discussion questions at the end of the book would be very helpful. My kids were enraptured with the story, and if there were prompts the book would have become a tool to spark meaningful conversation about God in addition to being a source of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment