Thursday, March 3, 2011

Regret Free Parenting - Catherine Hickem, LCSW

"Regret Free Parenting" is geared toward moms.  It provides direction on thinking through and deliberately overcoming specific issues.  The author calls this "intentional parenting.”  Instruction is provided for the following concepts: insecurity of children and moms, past hurts that currently affect the parenting style, defining the boundaries of a parent so that we don't wander too far into "friend" territory, the correct balance between your children's respect and happiness, and the dangers of using control as a parenting style.
My critiques are that future books be written in a simpler style (6th grade level would be ideal), and concepts be communicated in a more conversational approach.  There were a few times that it got a bit tedious to read, and I needed to take a break from my "counseling session."  With those criticisms out of the way, the information in the book was solid. The author didn't skimp on encouragement, and focused mainly on examples and instructions for specific issues.  Catherine Hickem doesn't mince words or tippy-toe around a solution.  You will be able to find clear, precise instruction here.  If this book addresses a need you have, then it also proposes the solution.
I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s regulations.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review "Regret Free Parenting". I'm humbled that it spoke to you and I hope it will continue to speak to your family as you continue your parenting journey. Looking forward to helping you to help raise your kids!
    Always,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete