Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Here Burns My Candle - Liz Curtis Higgs

This is the first in a series of books set in Scotland and based on the story of Ruth.  "Here Burns My Candle" integrates tons of Scottish history while setting up the basic elements of the story of Ruth, as told in the Bible.  The characters and setting has all changed to accommodate the fictional, compelling storyline.  Because of this, I enjoyed the book as a source of entertainment and considered the resemblance to the Book of Ruth an added bonus.
The book was engaging and kept my attention, and I am looking forward to reading the entire series.  My only critique is that the emotions of the main character may not have been written strongly enough. For example, Elisabeth Kerr, the main character, suspects that her husband is unfaithful.  When that suspicion is confirmed, her heartache is described.  This is perhaps the only area of the book that I felt was a bit on the weak side. That said, this area may have been lightened a bit by the author in order not to allow the book to take a depressing turn.  The rest of the book was very descriptive in every way.  All in all, it was an excellent book, very good attention to detail -- especially as it pertains to dialogue -- and I am very much looking forward to the next one.
In accordance with the regulations of the FTC, I would like to add that this book was a free gift to me from the publisher in return for my objective review.

No comments:

Post a Comment